Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Boat or Submarine

 Boat or Submarine  
Scientists:


Question/Goal/ problem
What shape of container will hold the most weight ?


Hypothesis (The shape I have chosen and why I think it is the best shape)
**Hannah and I have chosen a pan shape because we think it will float better.



Materials
Container filled with water, modelling clay, old coins


Method (What I did)
Create a boat out of modelling clay.
I Fill the container with water.
Place the boat carefully onto the water so it floats.
One at a time , put coins carefully into the boat . Count how many coins are in the boat before it sinks.
Observation/ Analyse (What happened and why I think it happened)
**Our creation floated the most coins it carried was seven, we kept making the sides taller so the water wouldn't get in. It was also big so it can carry more coins.


Conclusion  (What I discovered about floating/ sinking )

** I found out that a piece of paper can hold 4 coins at a time.
I worked out that if you make a shape that has a large bottom it will hold the most coins, because if you had a shape that has a small bottom it will place all the coins on one place causing it to fall down.

Here are some photos of room 16 doing the science experiment.

     

Wow I'm Rich!
I made a tea cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...